What to Do About Loose Skin After Weight Loss Surgery?
After weight loss surgery in Iran or other countries, most patients lose a lot of weight (often more than 50 kg), which can eventually cause the skin to sag and the muscles to relax. this extra skin won't disappear on its own after weight loss, most patients complain of sagging skin. This is because as you gain weight, your skin expands into new fat masses, and as you lose weight, your skin usually does not have enough elasticity to shrink and return to its original state.
Does the patient suffer from sagging skin after all slimming surgeries?
Now, how much will this problem affect you? In fact, the severity of this problem varies from person to person, and the extent depends on factors such as the type of surgery, your previous weight, age, history of smoking, and genetics.
The type of weight loss surgery is very important in the amount of sagging skin. Gastric sleeve surgery in Iran, in which the patient loses weight less quickly than gastric bypass surgery, is less likely to cause sagging skin.
Since most people experience some sagging skin after losing weight, it is natural that they do not feel good about it. But there is no need to worry at all because there are always ways to prevent and correct such problems.
In which parts of the body is sagging of the skin most common?
Sagging skin often occurs in the abdomen, which has the highest amount of fat storage. Of course, sagging and sagging skin can also occur in other areas. Some people experience sagging and sagging arms and breasts after rapid weight loss diets, and others experience sagging in the thighs and buttocks.
How to prevent sagging skin after weight loss surgeries?
Although sagging skin is a natural part of the weight loss process, in some cases, you can take steps to prevent sagging and sagging skin.
According to doctors, exercise after weight loss surgery is one of the best ways to prevent sagging skin. Of course, it can not be said that the patient will not experience any sagging or sagging skin in weight loss with exercise, but exercise is very useful to eliminate sagging abdomen and tighten muscles.
Add strength and flexibility training to your exercise program. Strength training helps build muscle, and flexibility exercises help bend and relax joints. It is best to do a combination of all these exercises in each session to be more effective.
Gradual weight loss
In fact, rapid weight loss is directly related to sagging skin, so try not to lose more than one to two kilograms per week so that the skin has a chance to shrink. As mentioned earlier, gastric sleeve surgery causes sagging skin due to the gradual weight loss less than other types of slimming surgeries.
With age, collagen and elastin will naturally lose their strength. For this reason, weight loss at a young age is less likely to cause sagging skin because the body has the ability to return to its previous state. Of course, the amount of collagen in the skin can be genetic.
Taking care of your skin can increase the skin's tolerance to sagging. Direct sunlight and cigarettes can harm skin collagen production, so staying away from these two is better.
Skin cosmetic surgery
While doing the above can be helpful, the truth is that after losing more than 50 kg of body weight with natural and abnormal weight loss methods, you should expect a small amount of sagging skin.
Cosmetic skin surgery is performed to remove excess and loose skin. For example, abdominoplasty after slimming surgery is one of the most common skin cosmetic surgeries. It is normal to worry about the location of the stitches after abdominoplasty surgery, but a skilled plastic surgeon can place these stitches in the curvature of the body to make them less visible. There are two ways to treat sagging skin on the abdomen after weight loss surgery:
- Abdominoplasty: During this surgery, the muscles and skin of the abdomen contract and tighten. Since this is a type of cosmetic surgery, it will not usually be covered by insurance.
- Panniculectomy: If the patient has an infection due to sagging or loosening of the abdominal skin and partial disability, the surgeon will advise him to seek help from panniculectomy surgery. During this surgery, loose skin is removed and tightened, but the muscles are not tightened. Most insurances cover panniculectomy surgery.
Who are the right candidates for cosmetic skin surgery?
Candidates for cosmetic skin surgery for sagging and sagging can have the following characteristics:
They have reached their goal of losing weight and their weight has been stable for the past 6 months. Skin sagging surgery lasts for many years, but weight fluctuations after surgery can harm the outcome.
- Live in perfect health. (This is necessary for the patient's own safety.) Certain diseases can increase the likelihood of requiring cosmetic skin surgery.
- Have realistic expectations of surgery. Removing sagging skin can improve a person's appearance but is not able to miraculously change the body.
- Be aware that the stitches will not be completely removed and only a skilled surgeon can remove them to an acceptable extent. So keep this in mind when wearing open clothes like swimsuits.
- After skin resurfacing surgery, you will need 2 to 3 weeks of free time to have a rest.